1 large Cauliflower / Romanesco
1 small onion finely chopped
300ml (½ pint) Milk
110g (4oz) Cheddar Cheese
3 tbsp Plain Flour
50g (2oz) Butter
25g (1oz) Fresh Breadcrumbs
Two pinches of powdered Nutmeg
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
1. Trim the cauliflower / romanesco and boil in water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
2. Drain and place in a flameproof dish.
3. Add butter to a hot saucepan, let it sizzle. Add the onion, and let it soften for 4 minutes.
4. Add the flour and stir continuously.
5. After the flour is equally clinged to the onion and butter, start adding milk little by little. Heat, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
6. Allow to simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add three-quarters of the grated cheese, a pinch of nutmeg and seasoning.
7. Cook for further minute stirring well.
8. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
9. Mix the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs together, sprinkle over the top.
10. Place under a hot oven (190deg.) and let it sizzle for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Serve immediately.
Enjoy Yummy scrumptios Cauliflower cheese.
P.S. Romanesco is a type of cauliflower with a stronger taste. It looks like this: